|Home Techniques B-X store Links Advertise with us|
Tips & Tricks
Video & Book reviews
About the Author
partialsPartials are exercises starting in a "stalled" position, meaning, you're smack dab in the middle of open & closed, with no movement between the two states. As a beginner, you'll no doubt find yourself in this predicament all too often. Don't fear.....get "connected".
Download an AVI of the technique here.
Preview the Technique here with the smaller GIF file.
1. Start in the position shown at left, stalled in the half open position (from a windmill opening).
2. In one smooth, but quick motion, pull the hand up toward the ceiling "sharply".
3. Tilt the wrist back a little if needed, toward the forearm.
4. Continue the motion........
5. .........as the handle passes just over vertical, snap the hand downward........
6. ....... to complete the opening.
This exercise will help develop a sense of "connection" to the dangling blade. Don't cheat yourself on this exercise, don't allow the handle to swing before executing the move, start from a dead stop. This will come in very handy in the future......trust me.